Some of you may be too shy to reach out but I encourage you to do so. Perhaps you have these questions about your family history:
• When did my ancestor come to America? What ship did he or she sail on? How long was the voyage?
• What was our family’s original Italian surname?
• What is our family’s ancestral village?
• Who are my great-grandparents?
• When and where were my ancestors born and married or when did they die in Italy?
• Did my immigrant ancestor become a naturalized citizen?
Perhaps you just want to dispel or confirm a family story? For instance, I helped one family discover that their ancestor left behind a wife and children in Italy and started a “new” family here in America. In doing Italian American research for the last decade, I have found that our families’ stories are out there to be discovered if we just take some time to look! Happy ancestor hunting!